I recently presented “The Advanced Basics: Where DO I Go Next as a CRM Admin?” with Patrick Wright on CRMUG (Recording available for members to watch). In this session, we covered a few topics including out of the box data management techniques. I wanted to dedicate a few blog posts to these topics to help more new CRM administrators!
Bulk Edit is a very cool feature as it allows you to quickly modify a large number of records without leaving CRM.
How to Bulk Edit Records:
- Create an Advanced Find to isolate the records you want to edit (technically you could do this from any view of records but I recommend narrowing down your list using Advanced Find to prevent errors)
- Select the records you want to edit or the whole page if editing all
- Click Edit
- Make your Change
- Click Save
- All handled quickly inside CRM
- Only limited by the number of records you can view (remember you can update this in your personal options)
- All Workflows and Plugins will fire as you expect (as compared to an unsupported database update)
- Limited to only the fields on the form
- Cannot edit Read-Only fields
- Cannot clear data from fields
- Can potentially overwrite the wrong data (no undo button!)
- Ignores Business Rules that are firing on the form (thanks webinar attendee for this reminder!)
Updated additional tips from the twitterverse:
- Diane @Riderfan78 shared that bulk edit can cause issues with the status/status reason on custom entities (see CRMUG Discussion for more information). This is another reason to always test your changes in a development environment and/or on a small subset of records.